August 2, 2016 Investment Strategies for an Expensive Marketplace As we enter the eighth year of the current bull market, many ‘experts’ are calling for a correction and the arguments (as always) are compelling. I don’t believe anyone knows what the future will bring but I do believe prudence would dictate taking a more balanced approach to risk management. The following strategies are ones I believe worth consideration in the current environment. Continue Reading
Updating your Wealth to Address Present and Future Needs Have you collected a mixed bag of assets over the years? Do they still serve the purpose they were originally intended to serve?Do you need a Wealth Makeover?Many of my client acquire an enviable collection of assets, entities and titled accounts; some of which no longer make sense in their current stage of life. Continue Reading
Published in Bradenton Herald: July 8 By GARDNER SHERRILL | Investor’s Column Continue Reading
We’re living longer. In the 1900s, only 4 percent of the population lived to see 65, according to American Demographics. In the 1930s, the average life expectancy for Americans for the first time reached 50 to 60 years.
Americans workers are split about 50/50 when asked if they are confident they will have enough money to pay for medical expenses in retirement. In a 2013 survey, 52% of all workers reported they were “not too” or “not at all” confident they would have enough money to pay for their medical expenses in retirement. The other 48% said they were “very” or “somewhat” confident they could pay the cost.¹
The need for retirement planning doesn’t end with the onset of retirement. A new retiree’s focus shifts from building wealth to managing and preserving it. One major challenge is to make the investment portfolio supply cash flow for the duration of life—and through different economic and market conditions. Experts have studied portfolio longevity or endurance with the hope of helping retired investors reduce the odds of depleting their wealth too soon. The studies evaluate how a portfolio might endure…
For many people, retirement income may come from a variety of sources. Here’s a quick review of the six main sources: Social Security Social Security is the government-administered retirement income program. Workers become eligible after paying Social Security taxes for 10 years. Benefits are based on each worker’s 35 highest earning years.
The Retirement Gamble is a PBS FRONTLINE documentary. It is a great watch for those concerned about securing a comfortable retirement. As fiduciaries, we are extremely proud to always act in the best interests of our clients as we deliver independent advice to help them achieve their financial goals.
Published in Bradenton Herald: June 18, 2013 By GARDNER SHERRILL |Investor’s Column Continue Reading